Friday, July 2, 2010

The Center for Science in the Public Interest yet again

Group calls for Ban on Artificial Food Coloring
from webmd


The Center for Science in the Public Interest has put a report calling for a ban on artificial coloring in food. Stating that none of the artificial coloring used in food has been proven safe. While I can't really say I can disagree with their position completely I have to ask " Who are these guys?" This is the second article in a month I've come across that has this group as the major plaintiffs. The first was a possible attempt to sue McDonalds for putting toys in their happy meals.

This raises questions how much power does this relatively unknown (or at least to me) group hold? How much money do they have to even consider a worldwide corporation such as McDonald and where are they getting it? Is it a completely private group or are they getting tax payer money? What other things they done that have effected our life that we don't know about or don't realize? Is this even a group of scientist or is it just a political activist group.

Like I said before I don't know that I can completely disagree with the position that artificial colors are bad. They also say in the article that their hasn't been a study done on food coloring for more than thirty years and that they are essentially wanting to go along with an European Union ban and that says a lot.

At some point I may have to do some more research on these guys and give them their own entry

No comments:

Post a Comment